Emails are officially middle-aged, and yet, they still have no problem competing with the new kids on the block. That’s because, throughout the years, emails have been totally adaptable. Evolve or die, as they say.
Here at Instiller, we were fascinated by the rich and interesting history of email and email design, so we did some research and found some awesome facts. For example, did you know that the first Smartphone was released all the way back in 1994?! And, it could send and receive emails!
We also discovered the contents of the first electronic mail message, the origins of Spam, and in what year the first email was sent from space. If you want to find out all of this and more, check out our new infographic below.
If you like what you see, feel free to embed and share on your own site!
Share this infographic
- In 1971, the first electronic mail message was sent
- The first ever email sent simply consisted of the letters: QWERTYUIOP
- The first ever SPAM email was sent in 1978
- The first smiley emoticon was invented in 1982 🙂
- In 1991, astronauts sent the first email from space
- Simon, the Personal Communicator Smartphone was released all the way back in 1994!
- Hotmail was the first free email service, available from 1996
- Internet acronyms, LOL, OMG, and WTF were added to the dictionary all the way back in 2004
- 49.5% of all email opens occur on a Smartphone
- 16.8% of all email opens occur on a tablet